More and more UK homeowners are turning to their attic in their quest for more living space, and with the high cost of building materials and labour, a loft conversion is the cheapest way to add some space to your property. The main reason for the low coast is the fact that you already have the four walls and the roof, and with some clever conversion work, you can have a nice sized room that can be used in a number of ways.
- The Design – Obviously, the loft space must be designed and rather than hiring an architect, the building contractor in Kent has the ability to design a loft conversion, plus he will deal with the local authority, should planning permission be required. The floor would typically me made from chipboard, while the interior cladding would be fabricated using plywood, and any boxing off of the water tank and pipes would also use plywood.
- Skylights – You would require at least two skylights fitted into the roof, and they would likely have openings, for added ventilation in the summer months. Double glazed units would ensure good thermal insulation, and the sizes would be determined by the designer.
- Insulation – Of course, the loft insulation that was in place needs to be removed, as you are no longer trying to stop your valuable heat from getting into the loft space, yet a new layer of insulation would be fitted behind the plywood cladding that is fixed to the interior roof surface.
The other major feature is the staircase that allows easy access, and most people prefer a folding set that drops down when required. What you do with your new interior space design-wise, is, of course, up to you, and that is something to discuss with the builder.
- July 25, 2023
- February 18, 2023
- September 27, 2022
- April 28, 2022
- Addressing Healthcare-Acquired Infections July 25, 2023
- Reasons To Consider Round Rugs For Your Home’s Living Room! July 15, 2023
- Cleaning Service: How To Find An Efficient Professional February 18, 2023
- 6 Trendy Wall Texture Designs for Your Living Room September 27, 2022
- How to choose a waterproofing company April 28, 2022